Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Riverside County Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force


Greetings,
I attended the anti-human trafficking task force meeting today.  On the day Sister Monesa announced her work with the task force I knew I had to be a part of that work. I felt scared!  She took both my hands in hers, looked at me with her piercing blue eyes and said, "you are strong enough."  I have been trained as a speaker to bring awareness to the horror that is modern day human trafficking.  I learned that the Super Bowl is the "main event" in sex slave trafficking.  I am horrified and sickened.  A short search of Amazon yielded more titles than I imagined would have been written on the subject.  On a search of YouTube I found an amazing assortment of of videos designed to raise awareness to the reality of human trafficking.  Yet, there is so much silence and denial that it is happening in our towns and neighborhoods.   I have included one of the videos I found in the hope of raising awareness.



   

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for your courage and commitment to this important cause! The video definitely raised my awareness. I was wondering if you could elaborate on the relationship between the Super Bowl and sex slave trafficking; I don't understand. The magnitude of this situation is overwhelming. What action(s) would you suggest one take in an effort to ameliorate or even eradicate such a global ill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary,
    Thank you for your response and your questions. People, mostly women and children are trafficked into the cities where the Super Bowl is being played because there is a large influx of mostly men who are willing to pay for sex. The traffickers supply that demand. The first thing we can all do is become aware. In my next blog I will include some links to websites that will give more information.

    ReplyDelete