Thursday, May 9, 2013

Violence Against Woman

Violence Against Women

This picture showed up in my email the other day with a petition to Amazon to take the product off their web site.  It is a practice shooting target called The Ex-girlfriend.  The woman priest at my church, upon reading my blog about the Levite's Concubine, remarked that biblical desensitization to violence against women affects desensitization to violence against women today.    In what way does this image of a shot, bleeding woman further desensitize  people to violence?  What does it reveal about those using this target?  What if the target were a man of color or a child instead of a sexualized, woman?  Would Amazon need to be petitioned to remove the image or the product? 

2 comments:

  1. This image and product are both highly disturbing to me. I feel that they promote aggression. As a sensitive, empathetic person, I abhor violence. It saddens me to think that some people are so desensitized to it that they consider it acceptable behavior. In my opinion, they need to find a positive way to deal with their negative emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Hilary, it is desensitizing. It is hard for me to understand a mentality where a target like seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete