Monday, May 20, 2013

Faith and Biblical Women

Biblical Women

I met a woman over the weekend who is a hospital chaplin.  I asked her to look at my blog.  Although she did not comment on the blog she sent me an email which said,"I don't get it.  It appears to be a case against Christianity or faith altogether."  I thanked her very kindly for her feedback.

 Faith

I am not making a case against Christianity or faith.  I consider myself a woman of faith, a Christian.  The case I am making is against patriarchal interpretations of that faith.  I read a comment today on the Woman's Ordination Conference Facebook page.  The man who posted the comment encouraged the women who made the video, Ordain a Lady to go to confession.  He also informed them that they were listening to the devil, God picked men except God picked a woman for a mother.  For the full comment check out the Woman's Ordination Conference Facebook page.

Faith and Biblical Women

In my reply I asked the man to check out John 4:1-42.  These verses record the story of a woman who believes in Jesus as the Messiah and "preaches" to her village. Many believed in Jesus as the Messiah based on the "preaching" of this women. Long before St. Paul went to the Gentiles this women was teaching the Samaritans about Jesus.  
The most important moment in the Christian religion is the empty tomb.  If we believe the Gospels, that most important message is in trusted to women.  It was women whom Jesus picked to proclaim the good news of the resurrection, to teach the men who were in hiding.  
My aim is not to make a case against faith or Christianity, but to encourage interpretations that do not limit the full participation of women in their faith communities.  We are all created in the image and likeness of the Divine.  God did not pick men.  Men picked men.       

       

2 comments:

  1. Amen Paula! Men are still picking men, but more importantly, WOMEN are still picking men!!
    Be prepared for women of faith to struggle with your words. To acknowledge the partnership of women in Jesus' circle of friends changes the game. There are plenty of women who don't want the responsibility. Some are content to defer to the "man" for the answers. Hopefully the young women will see the truth and embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joni for your comment. I agree with you. This is a multi-layered question. In my book, "Prostitutes, Virgins and Mothers: What We Were Not Taught About Biblical Women" I explore the relationship between Jesus and his women friends.

    ReplyDelete